Happenings & Announcements
Updated: August 9, 2020
To Join any of the Parish Zooms from your phone, please do the following just before the event:
- Have your worship outline that you received for the service and your Bible ready for the Worship & Fellowship.
- Call the toll-free phone number: 312-626-6799
- Enter the following information when asked:
- Meeting ID: 929 140 2896
- Password: 344110
- Enjoy praising God and fellowshipping with your sisters and brothers!
- To watch the weekly Worship Service Recordings, go to nhparish.org, and click the button that says, “Click here for Current and Past Services…”.
- Join our live Zoom Worships and Fellowships using your computer, smart phone, tablet, or a good old-fashioned landline. These are great ways to stay in touch. So, drop in and say hi! Looking forward to seeing you. Join the Zoom Worship & Fellowship Meetings at: https://zoom.us/j/228462040 ID #228462040 OR go to the nhparish.org, go the calendar and you will see the link. Or, use the instructions at the top of the announcements to join from your phone.
- Live Worship using Zoom – Sundays from 10AM – 11AM.
- Fellowship using Zoom – Catch up with everyone at our Parish Fellowships
- Sundays from 11AM – 12noon
- Thursdays from 2PM – 3PM
New Hope Parish Announcements
New Hope Parish August Birthdays
10th – Greta Achey
15th – George Grimes
24th – Trisha Stevenson
25th Kim Matney
28th – Madison Macom
30th – Colleen Ewan
30th – Nancy Oliver
- Pastor Paul is available at 913-259-4235 if you need to talk or if you have a prayer concern.
- Puppet Children’s Message available: nhparish.org then click on NHP Kids TV.
- At this time, all future person to person gatherings are currently on hold.
- You can currently mail your offering to the church. For Paola: Options for on-line payment can be located at fpcpaola.org then go to Donations and follow the instructions. For Osawatomie: contact the church office to set up an automatic payment. For Miami: There is not an option for online giving at this time.
- The Paola Thrift Shop is CLOSED until further notice.
- Until further notice, all care center facilities’ Sunday worship service will be canceled.
- The Food Pantry in Osawatomie open on Wednesdays from 11:30-12:30. They are opening the Food Pantry up to Louisburg and Paola during this COVID-19 pandemic. But everyone MUST provide a photo ID (ie driver’s license) and a statement(electric bill, gas bill, water bill) that shows your current address. They are in need of monetary donations as well. Make check out to Osawatomie Food Pantry.
- PACA: All food is welcomed during this unprecedented time. Macaroni and cheese is especially needed, can evaporated milk, complete pancake mix and also the 5.5 oz complete pancake mix packages, pancake syrup, instant oatmeal, jelly, cereal, cookies bag mix. DO NOT DROP OFF AT THE NORTH DOOR OF CHURCH. PLEASE CALL THE CHURCH OFFICE, LEAVE A MESSAGE, AND SOMEONE WILL GET BACK TO YOU TO DISCUSS A DELIVERY TIME. Or, a check can be made out to PACA Food Pantry and sent to the FPC church office.
New Hope Parish Prayer Requests
Beulah Johnson (healing and comfort)
Harold Barnett (healing and strength) and Colleen
Mike Cox (Diana Cox’s husband and Angie Pennock’s stepfather)
LuAnne Debrick (healing)
Venie Elliott (healing and discernment)
Colleen Ewan (healing and for upcoming surgery)
Jack Floyd (healing and discernment)
Joe Fox (comfort)
Evelyn Gabbert (healing)
Linda Prothe (healing)
Liz Redd (healing)
Marsha Ratkovic (Pat Barnett’s sister) breast cancer metastasized
Phyllis Stevens (healing)
Verla Thomas (healing)
Betty Ventura (healing)
Suzie Wilcox (ALS)
Paula Weir (for healing) and Bob Weir (comfort and discernment)
Community Prayer Requests
Connie Attebery, friend of Bonnie Wallace
Sharon Davey (health issues) (Grady Atwater)
Kenny Darner, prayers for healing, brother-in-law to Evelyn Gabbert
Roxanne Egidy – Brain injury, Marylu Egidy’s niece
Joe Fickel prayers for comfort
Ron and Sandy Galvin prayers for healing and discernment
Judie Halvorsen (wife of Pastor Marvin Halvorsen, 7th Day Adventist Church of
Osawatomie (COVID-19 and pneumonia-she is in the hospital)
Riley McDougal (son of Marty McDougal) (healing and comfort)
Debbie, friend of Dee Anne Mendel
Robert Sawin -Cancer – Judy Windler’s father
Shelly, friend of Max and Carolyn Servais, has cancer
Rev. John Wastlund’s (Osawatomie Wesleyan Church) brother, Praise as Kerry is better
Cindy Hickey – breast cancer
Lori Martin (Comfort, healing and discernment)
Kim Walker (Comfort, healing and discernment)
Chet Barnett (grandson of the Barnett’s)
Men and women who are now serving or have served in the past.
All those affected by this virus, including all healthcare workers,
first responders, and scientists.
Family and friends of Emily Denney
Family and friends of Norm Minden
Family and friends of Bill Patterson
Please pray for all the Honorably Retired, at-large members who are not currently serving churches, all Ministers serving in validated ministries,
and support staff of the churches each week.
First Presbyterian Church, Gardner, KS
Iglesia Espíritu Santo, La Cumbre
The sick, their caretakers, and the rest of us trying to stay safe,
and sane, during this pandemic.
Current Sunday Service Bulletin – Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
Prelude “Alas, My God” – Walther
Call to Worship
The peace God speaks, envelops us with wholeness, restores balance, and repairs all brokenness. Steadfast love and faithfulness … Righteousness and peace … meet, kiss, spring up, gaze down, encompassing all creation in goodness. Surely God’s salvation is at hand!
Hymn “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” (Vs 1) Blue #276
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God, my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not; Thy compassions, they fail not.
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!
WE PROCLAIM GOD’S GOOD NEWS
We Pray Together, the Prayer of the Day
Holy God, you speak to us in a voice unexpected and come to us in ways we do not recognize. Never leaving us to our own devices or defenses, you are the ever-present, all-powerful God. Call us out in faith again and again, until we learn to walk with you in steadfast love and faithfulness, and in peace. In the name of him who comes to us upon the waters, Jesus the Christ. Amen.
We Dedicate Our Tithes and Offerings
“Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim to them?” (Romans 10:13-15)
You have been saved. You have believed. You are sent. Offer yourselves then to the work of invitation, community and purpose in our homes, neighborhood, online, and around the world.
Prayer of Dedication
Loving God, we believe that you have saved us, you are saving us, and you will save us. We offer to you our whole lives as a living sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. Use us; multiply us and the gifts we offer, in person, by mail, or online, to extend the invitation of life, community to everyone we meet.
Prayer for Illumination
Gracious God, we listen for you in wind, earthquake, and fire. Unexpectedly, you speak in the sound of silence. We pray that by the power of the Holy Spirit, you will silence in us all the storms, doubts, and fears that overwhelm so that we may hear what you have to say. Your still small voice. Thin. Quiet. Yet compelling, commanding, all the same. We ask it in the name of Christ. Amen.
Today’s Scripture Reading:
Psalm 85:8–13 Mike Barnett – Liturgist
8 Let me hear what the Lord God says,
because he speaks peace to his people and to his faithful ones.
Don’t let them return to foolish ways.
9 God’s salvation is very close to those who honor him
so that his glory can live in our land.
10 Faithful love and truth have met;
righteousness and peace have kissed.
11 Truth springs up from the ground;
righteousness gazes down from heaven.
12 Yes, the Lord gives what is good,
and our land yields its produce.
13 Righteousness walks before God,
making a road for his steps.
Matthew 14:22–33 Pastor Paul
22 Right then, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead to the other side of the lake while he dismissed the crowds. 23 When he sent them away, he went up onto a mountain by himself to pray. Evening came and he was alone. 24 Meanwhile, the boat, fighting a strong headwind, was being battered by the waves and was already far away from land. 25 Very early in the morning he came to his disciples, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified and said, “It’s a ghost!” They were so frightened they screamed.
27 Just then Jesus spoke to them, “Be encouraged! It’s me. Don’t be afraid.”
28 Peter replied, “Lord, if it’s you, order me to come to you on the water.”29 And Jesus said, “Come.“ Then Peter got out of the boat and was walking on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when Peter saw the strong wind, he became frightened. As he began to sink, he shouted, “Lord, rescue me!”31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him, saying, “You man of weak faith! Why did you begin to have doubts?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind settled down.33 Then those in the boat worshipped Jesus and said, “You must be God’s Son!”
Reflecting on Scripture Pastor Paul
Prayers of the People/The Lord’s Prayer (Please use debts and debtors)
God of power and love, you are with us in every circumstance of this life. We thank you for your steadfast faithfulness. We thank you for the gift of your peace, which comes to us even in times of chaos and fear, trouble and doubt. We thank you for your powerful arms of mercy that grasp us when we are sinking; for your powerful Word that coaxes us even when we are hiding and afraid. We put our trust in you, for you alone can save us. We ask for your power and love to overwhelm the chaos of the nations. In every place of war, send your encompassing shalom to restore and repair all that is torn and broken.
We pray that violent and hostile struggles will be defeated by good. Give us faith and courage to follow Christ so closely that divisions are dismantled, reconciliation is accomplished, and love casts out all fear. Increase mutual understanding and a sense of unity in our community, in this congregation, in the church around the world. In our personal relationships, bring healing where there is estrangement and hurt. In our relationship to your creation, give us creativity and perseverance as we work to be faithful, tender stewards of all that you have so wondrously made. We entrust to your providence and care all those who suffer; all who are hiding from you, from others, or even from themselves because of fear or feelings of unworthiness. To one struggling with doubt, increase faith. To one enduring persecution or prejudice, bring freedom. For those caught in the grip of anxiety and uncertainty, grant the calm rest that your peace alone gives. And for all who face illness, pain, or even death, we pray for restoration and wholeness to fill them—in heart, mind, and body.
You alone can save us, almighty God; hear our cries to you, we pray. Gather us up and set us in safety, and we will praise your name. We ask all things in the name of Jesus Christ, who truly is your Son and who taught us to pray by saying, Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us, this day, our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
WE RESPOND AND GO IN GOD’S NAME
Hymn “I’ve Got Peace Like a River” (Vs 1) Blue #368
I’ve got peace like a river,
I’ve got peace like a river,
I’ve got peace like a river in-a my soul.
I’ve got a river in-a my soul.
Charge & Benediction
Step out in faith, trusting that the God who has called you is able to keep you from falling and holds you in love.
May the steadfast love and faithfulness of God surround you the peace of Christ enfold you; and the Holy Spirit encourage you, now and forever.
“Go ye now in peace,
and know that the love of God will guide you
…Feel his presence here beside you,
showing you the way…
go ye now in peace.
go ye now in peace.”
Postlude “Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise” -Setting by Culli